Western Ridge Barossa Valley Shiraz 2017
This product is COMING SOON.
94 points 5 stars Sam Kim Aug 2019
Youthfully charming and immensely appealing, the wine shows black/blueberry, spiced cherry, mint chocolate and cedary oak characters on the nose, leading to a richly fruited palate that is beautifully weight and persistent. It is up front and delicious. At its best: now to 2027.
The renowned Western Ridge is a subregion of the Northern Grounds areas. Western Ridge includes the Parishes of runs from the north of Greenock, through Seppeltsfield and pushes into the Central Grounds near Gomersal.
NORTHERN GROUNDS INFLUENCING FACTORS AND STYLE
- “Concentration and richness”
- ALTITUDE Altitude of the flat land north of the parish of Nuriootpa is around 280m. Altitude of the Western Ridge varies from 280 – 450m.
- CLIMATE Warm. Sites on the Western Ridge with east facing slopes provide relief from the hot afternoon sun.
- SOILS Soils vary but are predominately red-yellow brown loams over red clay. Shattered ironstones are found in the soils of the Western Ridge and the soils are shallower here than elsewhere. A small section of yellow and white sands is found in the area of Kalimna.
- THE TASTE OF THE WINES STYLE Full-bodied, opulent, concentrated, rich.
- COLOUR Deep purple-red.
- AROMA Blue and black fruits (dark cherry, blackberry, plum, black olives), dark chocolate, cocoa powder, inky, iodine.
- SHAPE & TEXTURE Round, velvety. Firm, strong, expressive tannins (chalky and grainy), strongly puckering and moderately drying.
Produced by some of Australia's most famous and awarded winemakers for Epic Negociants, we work with exceptional growers throughout the Barossa Grounds, identifying parcels of fruit and bringing them to life.
The Barossa was discovered and named (including the clerical error when registering the name) by Colonel Light in 1839 after the ‘Battle of Barrosa’, a battle Light had fought in. We select parcels of fruit from this area to produce this contemporary Australian Shiraz with vibrant fruit, structure, poise and complexity.
Vine age 15+ years
Serving We suggest opening this for 30 minutes before serving.
Food match A fabulous match with any BBQ or roasted meats.
100km from winery Barossa Valley is home to a diverse range of food producers and artists. A calendar of events and the historic towns and wineries are world class.
Winemaking Fruit was partially destemmed and sent to open top fermenters for cold soak pre-ferment, and a 14 day fermentation using natural yeasts. Pressed to oak barrels.
Oak 18 months in French and American oak.
Cellaring 3-6 years
This Product is offered and supplied by Cherish Corporation PL Liquor Licence No 32051552. Please note, this product cannot be delivered to Dry Zones.
Cherish Corporation supports the Responsible Service of Alcohol.
Warning - Under the Liquor Control Reform Act 1998 it is an offence to supply alcohol to a person under the age of 18 years (penalty exceeds $17,000), for a person under the age of 18 years to purchase or receive liquor (penalty exceeds $700).
You must be over the age of 18 to purchase from this website, for more info please see Drink Wise